Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laser printer gloat

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:45:34 -0700, D Yuniskis
wrote:

HP inkjets are total crap.

Not really. The DesignJet plotters are quite nice. Also, every
vendor has its winners and losers. Current HP inkjet printers seem to
be aimed at the very bottom of the market. They're little better than
throw aways. However, some of the more expensive HP inkjet printers
are tolerable.

Some of the high end Epson's are
respectible -- *if* you maintain them well (I have an R1800,
SC3000 and SP2000P which have all performed well -- though
Photoshop doesn't like the oversized pages on the SC3000)

Yep. However, I don't like Epson because of the difficulty in
obtaining parts, and their refill protection scheme. In addition,
having access to parts is often not enough as proprietary software is
required to align and calibrate the printer. There is a hack:
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html
to get around this, but Epson also juggles the firmware to compensate.
Epson may make better high end inkjet printers, but if I can't
maintain them, they'll probably end up at the recyclers.

I dunno about the "oversized pages" problem. I use various HP
plotters for large format print jobs but don't use Photoshop.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D