Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Laser printer gloat

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
This inspired by the mini-thread in the thread up yonder about HP DeskJet
printers. Actually something of a reverse gloat, along the lines of "my
old printer still works; does yours?".

**I was just saying to my partner last week, that what I hated most about my
HP Laserjet 5MP (ca. 1994) was that the damned thing refuses to stop
working. I've fed it with more than a dozen cartridges (around 60,000 pages)
and it simply works and works perfectly. Print resolution is flawless, paper
jams almst unheard of (one every thousand pages or so). I've even been using
re-filled cartridges (despite HP's dire warnings), which cost around
AUS$60.00 apiece and it just won't stop. As of 2009, it can only be regarded
as a slug (6 pages/min), but it does the job. Damn it! I really wanted an
excuse to buy one of those all bells & whistles, HP colour laser printers.

Think carefully before buying color. Decide what you really need
from the printer (I recall going through this exercise at a company
where we were *designing* a printer). I use different printers
for different jobs.

E.g., LJ6P for low volume B&W printing -- when I want to
print a web page or "copy" a document (using a scanner);
LJ4M+ for big B&W jobs (I think it is 12PPM and duplexes
so it saves me paper); a Sony DPP-EX50 for postcard photographs;
Phaser 560 for high volume color "documents"; other "solid
inkj" phasers for large color photos; R1800 for big photos
and/or CD labels; etc.

If all you need is "multicolor business documents" (i.e., where
ICM isn't important) you can more effectively trade money for
speed, reduced supply costs, etc. OTOH, if you want to print
photos, you will find the cost of printing "business documents"
to be much higher than you would like.

FWIW: In the time I've owned the HP, I've thrown out four ink jet printers,
of various brands. They are, on the whole, utter crap. My HP will probably
still be working well into the next millenium.

HP inkjets are total crap. Some of the high end Epson's are
respectible -- *if* you maintain them well (I have an R1800,
SC3000 and SP2000P which have all performed well -- though
Photoshop doesn't like the oversized pages on the SC3000)