Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Laser printer gloat

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got my HP LaserJet 2100M (600 DPI w/PostScript capability) ca. 2000. Not
only is the printer still working perfectly, but I'm still using the
same cartridge I got with it!

Which is a little puzzling; while the printer hasn't exactly been used
in a production environment, I have put plenty of pages through it:
printed out many entire manuals, etc. I'm just waiting for the cartridge

Most toner cartridges are designed for thousands of pages.
(e.g., 5,000 pages -- 10 reams of paper)

to empty out, but it still hasn't come close. (I even have a 2nd
cartridge I got with the printer, still in its foil package.)

I've had the same problem -- though I consider it an *annoyance*!
I routinely rescue color printers (not the cheap inkjets), run
them until they run out of ink/toner and then scrap/recycle them.

Unfortunately, even printing 8.5x11 photos (i.e., 100% ink coverage)
I haven't been able to "empty" any of them! I've been concentrating
on a Phaser 8200 for the past year and it looks like there are
still many months more of service left in the "ink tray" :

One thing I really don't like about this, and really most HP printers
that I've used, is that it hates to print on the back of printed sheets.
Usually it eats/shreds about half the sheets one tries to print this

You've either got bad rollers, a bad fuser or "off brand" toner.
I haven't had problems with any LJ (I currently have an LJ4M+
and an LJ6P) printing "back side" (the LJ4M+ has the optional
duplexer so it *wants* to print "verso")

way. Yeah, I know, you can get HPs with "duplex" options, but to me,
that's utter bull****. I remember the old Panasonic laser printer my old
office had. It was a huge beast, and certainly no better than the HP we
also had at the time (LJ 4???), but the Panasonic would feed *any* paper
you put into it, even if it had just been run through the printer on one
side. I'd always use it to print out my manuals on 2 sides for proofing.

Other than this, the LaserJet is a fine piece of equipment.

I couldn't *kill* my LJii! I finally had to get rid of it as
the electric costs were ridiculous (though the toner carts
were awful cheap!)