Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default The height of the toolrest

As a production turner, I don't fiddle with the tool rest to keep it
at the perfect height. That would be just too much messing around. If
it is a little off, I raise or lower the handle, whichever is
appropriate. You can make pvc collars to go around the tool rest, or
do an end grain turning with a hollow in it since we are turners. This
will get it close as well without too much fine tuning.

robo hippy

On Nov 3, 8:22*am, ebd wrote:
I agree. Each tool has a different (cutting) thickness. I've got
scrapers that are very thick (1/2") and some that are much thinner. I
wouldn't think of keeping the tool rest at the same height when I
switch from one to the other. Nor would I set the tool rest the same
for a 3/8" bowl gouge and a 3/4" bowl gouge. That's *not to say that
I'm obcessive/compulsive about the exact height. I just bump the tool
rest up or down depending on the tool.