Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Bike lock (bike stolen)

On 4 Nov, 00:36, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Steve Walker wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dubber"
saying something like:

The advice I'm after is what kind of lock(s) would be best for
me ?

Only one make successfully resists attack for very long - Almax.
All the others are ****.

Crikey, you're right - look at the videos on
www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=19

£150 Abus Thatcham Approved blah blah Chain, cropped with simple
bolt-cutters in 25 seconds.

WTF is that all about? *Granted he used a big FO pair of croppers,
but surely the video is meant to demonstrate that the product
survives for a minimum 5 mins?

Anywho, an angle grinder would have taken that out in half the
time. I removed the wire rope type lock from an adandoned bike in
around
3 seconds with my trusty angle grinder a few weeks ago.

I so don't think so

The links are thicker than dennis

Don't forget, one doesn't usually park a bike close to a mains
socket, an Almax chain would tell a battery angle grinder to ****
off and play elsewhere

It didn't tell those bolt croppers to **** off did it?

Err yes it did IIRC

The 'Granite' video is presented by a bird who claims its Thatcham Approved
5 Minute Tested & the geezer bolt cropped it in 25 seconds. *£135? *Bugger
that.

Angle grinder would have taken it out in half the time. *Send me one, I'll
video it & post it on Youtube.

What I don't understand is why Almax have a video claiming their product
withstands attack for 5 mins, then shows it being shagged in 25 seconds.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave, you`ve been watching the wrong videos, all the other ones cut,
the Almax is case hardened and won`t bolt cropper at all.

Buried in the blurb is how some other chains claim longer grinder
resistance by being full hardened, which will slow grinding down, by a
few seconds....

Grinding is noisy but apparently unbeatable, no one has any replies to
grinder threat in container thread.

As mentioned hard becomes brittle, especially when chilled, presumably
hence ductile core and case hardening with Almax

2 big guys and a side loading van will have anything away and the
general public really dosen`t want to be involved.

Round key locks can suffer from picking by impressioning, check
youtube.

Almax might just have made a couple more sales though.

Cheers
Adam