Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Insulating block wall garage

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:56:50 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

My other choices of course include framing and insulation the inside of
the block walls.

Really your most cost effective option.

snip

Given your problem I would contact an Icynene installer and price out
2 x 4 framing with 3 1/2" foam filling behind drywall (INSIDE). The
way higher insulating value of such an installation will definitely
have a reasonable payback period compared with the limited options you
could do other wise. Your personal tax expert could also advise you of
energy tax credits available to sweeten the project cost.

Inside " Icynene" was my first thought. DAGS images for walls.

I'm waiting for estimates

Forget all the outside stucco stuff -

The only reason I considered outside stuff was from some posts here
regaurding different insuating technics for heavy mass wall. Forgetting
that idea and putting stucco directly on the block will be much easier
and less expensive then having to deal with wire lath.

Ah, I got some info now. For Icynene brand foam on 2x4 walls, with 1/2"
gap between the 2x4 wall and the block wall.

A) $1.35 square foot
B) $1.20 square foot

"A" was a guestimate from the secretary, she wasn't quite sure.

I talked shop with "B" and he also stated that they don't subtract
square feet for windows and doors except for the front where there is
more garage door square footage then wall square footage. The time they
spend taping windows and doors evens out with the extra labor. Sounds
like a good family owned and run business.

Does anyone here know what they charge in your area? Maybe other brands?