Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper tubing and natural gas?

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl -

I'm doing some demo on my 50's kitchen, which was done pretty well,
overall -- 3/4 black pipe to a 6 burner stove, etc.
Except, they tee'd off underneath for the gas line to the oven, using 1/2 or
5/8" copper, flare fitting.

I've been told copper gets brittle with natural gas, and is therefore
against many codes. Is this accurate? Is this a recent discovery? Seems
odd that the original installers would use 3/4" black pipe, and then wimp
out at the end.

Are there similar restrictions with copper and propane? Other gases?
If this restriction is only with nat gas, I assume it's because of the
sulfer additive (smell) that reacts with the copper.

tia

If I remember correctly you can't use galvanized pipe for
natural gas but I've never heard of any problems with copper
pipe and natural gas or propane here in the Southeast. The
only thing I know that you can't use copper pipe with is
ammonia refrigeration systems.

TDD