Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Dodge Acronym

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:22:05 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 06:38:42 -0800, Pavel314 wrote:
"In 1959 a group of engineers from Chrysler Corporation began to
participate in the nation's new craze; "Drag racing". They started
with a 1949 Plymouth business coupe, named "The High and Mighty". They
had extensive experience with the "long-horn" intake manifold that
powered the early Chrysler 300 series, and began to experiment with
the technology in drag racing. The name soon evolved from long-horn to
ram's -horn and eventually the public settled on the nickname Ram-
Induction. By the 1960 race season this group created the team named,
RAMCHARGERS."

Obviously my reply was tongue-in-cheek, but that's interesting... I'd
always been under the assumption that the 'ram' terminology came from some
sort of supercharging/racing pedigree, and some marketing department had
decided to slap it onto the trucks. Interesting that the name came from
the intake shape instead...

Having successfully learnt something new today, I think I'll go take a nap

cheers

Jules

Interestingly, those "rams horn" manifolds DID have a "Ram tuning"
effect.

However, the explanation given for the "ram" being because of the
ram'a horn manifold design doesn't hold water - as the "RAM TOUGH"
motto and the rams-horns hood ornament were used before the second
world war. It was a prominent feature on the 1933 dodge car as well.
I believe the "ram" was on dadge cars virtually from their beginning
as a Chrysler product (after the "Star of David" emblem of the "Dodge
Brothers" dissapeared)