Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Score one for top loading washers

On Nov 3, 5:04*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:55:37 -0800 (PST), wrote:

-snip-

It *might* save water. * But it also won't take nearly a large a load
as our old machine- so we do more loads.

Jim

"It *might* save water. * But it also won't take nearly a large a
load as our old machine- so we do more loads."

I like to hear what you are comparing. It's a common understanding
that most front loaders take comparable sized - or larger - loads as
top loaders.

My old one was a Whirlpool LSR7133KQO. * My frontloader is a
Frigidaire 6000 or 7000 series. *I can't get to the washer- and though
I have an ownersguide, a repair manual, an operating manual, and 3
other pdf's on my computer- the best I can do on a model is "6000 &
7000".

I have a Frigidaire GLTF2940ES, 3.5 cu ft capacity. It's my
understanding that that's a true 3.5 cu ft since there is no agitator,
as opposed to a 3.5 top loader where the agitator volume is not
subtracted from the capacity specs.

My comparison of load size is because I do the 'dump and wash'. *The
old washer could take my entire large hamper in a single gulp. * * I
have to drag all the clothes up out of the hamper and into the door of
the front loader. * If the hamper is more than 3/4 full I can't cram
all those clothes in there no matter what I do.

I found this at:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt070.shtm

"Typically, front-loaders use less water — from one-third to one-half
the amount that top-loaders require"

Therefore you'd have to be doing 2 - 3 times as many loads to not be
saving water. I be very surprised to hear that your front loader only
fits half the amount of clothes as your old top loader - unless of
course if you went from some kind of super-ginormous top loader to a
mini apartment sized front loader.

They both take up the same space- Actually the front loader takes up
more because I put it on a pedestal to try to save some back-aches.

But that doesn't address my comment. Unless you are doing 2 - 3 times
the number of loads as before you have to be saving water since each
load uses 1/3 to 1/2 less.

In fact, since you said earlier "If the hamper is more than 3/4
full..." which means that you're doing roughly 4 loads for every 3
that you used to do. At 1/3 to 1/2 the water savings per load, you are
definitely saving water.

You do know that you can fill a front loader all the way to the top of
the drum right?

If I was a little more agile I'd stomp the clothes down-- trust me, I
fill it.

Now that's a sight I'd like to see! :-)

Jim