Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hardware flakiness (Windoze BSOD)

On 11/3/2009 5:12 PM Warren Block spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/3/2009 2:20 PM Baron spake thus:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:27:20 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

And the fact that I don't have a terminator on the scanner might
not be helping, either. But as I said, when it works I can do
many scans with no problems.

Isn't the Snapscan internally terminated ? ie only has a single 25 pin
data socket.

Nope; it has 2 sockets, and no termination switches that I can see, so
I'm ASSuming it's unterminated. (Most SCSI devices like this have two
sockets for daisy-chaining.)

With the cable as short as possible and no other devices, that can work
acceptably (FSVO "acceptably"). Anything more than a terminated
controller at the other end and all bets are off. Add a terminator,
preferably active, and it might even be trustworthy.

Yes. Pretty sure the Advansys is auto-terminating.

The thing I was *really* hoping to discover--and it may be my fault for
not having been more clear in my original message--is why the Blue
Screen of Death, even assuming some sort of SCSI error due to my
cobbled-up cable? I mean, shouldn't the OS be able to handle a SCSI
error without abandoning ship? That's what I meant by "****-poor SCSI
handing". I can't imagine, for example, that a Sun workstation would be
brought to its knees by a bad SCSI cable.

I'm just wondering what's going on there in driver-land, or HAL-land, or
wherever the problem may be.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet