Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Felt roof repair

NT wrote:
On Nov 3, 12:42 pm, robgraham wrote:
On 3 Nov, 12:09, Andy Dingley wrote:

On 3 Nov, 11:23, wrote:

Should i use "Torch on" or traditional felt with nails.

Neither. The self-stick stuff is generally better than Torch-on (but
you have to be right first time!) and I'd use the non-sticky but now
fibre-reinforced felts for going over an apex. That stuff isn't your
grandad's old crack-prone felt.

Really though, I'd probably get a strip of the rigid bituminous
(Ondoline?) ridge capping.

If the ridge felt is coming off, what is the state of the rest of
it ? Having recently roofed a new shed with Onduline - and I 've used
felt extensively over the years - I would suggest you look at just
covering the existing roof with it. Very easy to apply (an
afternoon's work), no glues, etc. and no more expensive than felt.

Rob

Where did you find onduline at that price? When I looked I went with
good quality felt as much cheaper.

To the OP, the other option is to stick felt down using cold bitumen
glue (about £5-6 a gallon iirc). You get no holes with this.

Holes caused by nails in shed felt are self sealing surely?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk