Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default [Totally OT] Freecycle

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:38:31 -0000, "Tim"
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:05:43 +0000, Andrew May
wrote:

Bruce wrote:

That sounds like "making it as complicated as eBay, but for free".
I agree that some kind of feedback would improve Freecycle, but all
I would need is a list of people who have been no-shows, perhaps
more than twice.

I wasn't thinking of anything as complicated as a feedback system. If
the Yahoo! search system was working as it should (and it is not)
then a simple search by username should give you a list of items
that a person has OFFERED / TAKEN / WANTED and that is at least a
start to making an assessment as to who is genuine and who might not
be.

OK, I see your point. But it would get to the stage where Freecycle
was hard work. I would prefer a blacklist or outright bans because
they are easier to operate.

Are they b*ggery! Blacklists and bans are completely useless as all it
needs is for the offender to sign up with a new email address. If you don't
ban people then they don't morph and members soon get to know who to avoid.

Good point. ;-)

I must admit keeping my own lists of reliable/unreliable Freecycle
members so I know who to choose/avoid.

It's the only system that reliably works.

Indeed.