Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Copper tubing and natural gas?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl -

I'm doing some demo on my 50's kitchen, which was done pretty well,
overall -- 3/4 black pipe to a 6 burner stove, etc.
Except, they tee'd off underneath for the gas line to the oven, using 1/2
or 5/8" copper, flare fitting.

I've been told copper gets brittle with natural gas, and is therefore
against many codes. Is this accurate? Is this a recent discovery? Seems
odd that the original installers would use 3/4" black pipe, and then wimp
out at the end.

Are there similar restrictions with copper and propane? Other gases?
If this restriction is only with nat gas, I assume it's because of the
sulfer additive (smell) that reacts with the copper.

tia
--
EA

it's different in different parts of the country. call up and ask your local
inspector; they would know what is happening in your area.