Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Weatherproofing tips

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:57:40 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
We also found lots of places where the
joists rest on the cinderblocks where bugs have been getting in. We figured
that out by the number of spider balls and webs surrounding areas where it
looks like there's just crushed stone filling the gaps above the
cinderblocks.

Our basement is a bit like that, too - although the walls are poured
concrete, but it's a bit rough at the top where the joists meet. The gaps
aren't particularly large, but the roughness will make it a time-consuming
job to caulk or use foam (plus I don't like foam for anything except as a
last resort).

I'm thinking some form of sealer that I can brush on would be best, but
I've not looked into what's out there yet.

FWIW, there are brushable caulks....the contractor used it (Porter
brand) on our concrete block/stucco condo. After pressure washing,
there ended up being a lot of bare stucco, due to extremely poor
previous paint job and lots of mildew and peeling. There were lots of
fine cracks, as well. This was a contractor who did mainly commercial
work, and we could not have gotten better results. After careful prep.,
they primed, used brushable caulk, one coat of semi gl. acryllic/latex
paint. Done in 2001, no cracks reappearing since. Don't recall whether
the caulk went before or after the primer, but it did the trick. As I
recall, the caulk was almost clear, or kind of milky appearing. Clear
when dry?

So, two questions. When there aren't any tell-tale signs like spider
webs, how do you determine where the leaks are?

I could feel 'em on the back of my hand. But I'm just going to seal around
the whole lot anyway, just to be sure.