Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hardware flakiness (Windoze BSOD)

On 11/3/2009 8:43 AM D Yuniskis spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So I made up a SCSI cable for the scanner I got off the street

(sigh) SayNoMore. SCSI cables need to have controlled impedances.
Even at ASYNC speeds, you can get all sorts of reflections that
can cause havoc.

Yes, I know all that. I simply wanted to see how far I could tempt the
angry SCSI gods.

(literally), an Agfa SnapScan 1236. (Had to cobble up the cable since my
SCSI host adapter has a high-density socket but the scanner has the old
25-pin socket.) The cable's a bit ugly, with something of a rat's nest
of wires soldered together in the middle, but it works. Scanner works fine.

And you know it works at DC, right. How do you know it works
"at speed"?

If you read my post again, you'll see that I've been successful using
this cobbled-together cable. Last night I scanned more than a dozen
photos with no problems. So I know it works "at speed". (Most of the
time, anyhow, with this device.)

The BSOD problem only rears its ugly head occasionally. I know how to
solve it (unplug the damn offending cable). I'm simply curious as to why
this happens. (Makes this kind of an N. Cook postmortem analysis.)

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet