Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:26:20 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Bill" wrote:

I just typed in "Convection electric heat" (google search), and this
product came up:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none

Looks appealing--even has a thermostat and auto-shutoff. I had been
under the impression that using electricity was a costly way to
create heat. I guess I can try the math: this thing is 1500W =
1.5kW, and it looks like I pay less than 10 cents per kWh, and that
would come out to 15 cents per hour.

The heater above is a cute little toy, would probably work well in a
desk cubby hole for an office.

Trying to heat an un-insulated, 2 car garage in central Indiana in the
middle of winter with a 1500W heater has about as much a chance of
doing the job as you have trying to smell an ameba fart from 100 ft
away in a hurricane.

Haven't run the numbers, but even 15,000W would probably be very
marginal at best.

Are you guys doing the math only on getting a room up to temp? What
about maintaining heat in a previously heated space? A small heater
will take awhile to heat a large space, but once heated, it will
maintain it easily. We're not talking 40x60' outbuildings here.

Insulated, a shop will stay warm with minimal input, but it's gotta be
well insulated. My gar^H^H^Hshop is attached to the house and gets
colder than the house due to leaks. I had an HVAC duct routed there
but it stays about 8 degrees cooler or hotter than the house. I use a
small (1500W) Patton fan/heater and it brings my shop to a toasty temp
in no time. A person working in a shop also adds plenty of BTUs.
http://fwd4.me/2ZJ Here's a $20 type which will do it for you if you
insulate and if you're not in Alaska/ND/Maine/BFE in the winter.

Bill, as I said, insulate that space and use a fan-blown electric
heater or two (on separate circuits, yeah?) to get the space heated so
you can work. I saw you link to a convection heater. Forget that.
Forced air is the only type of heat to have, period. I worked in a
shipping and receiving area in a warehouse in '75. It had radiant
heaters and we were always cold. I moved to Oregon and the house came
with 240v baseboard heaters (convection). When they were running, my
ankles were cold and when I stood up, my forehead instantly broke out
in a sweat. I immediately installed a nice Carrier HVAC. It's my first
air-conditioned home/shop and I love it. (For $6k, I'd better, huh?
But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm gas heated.)

Convected air stratifies, forced air blends. For comfort, go with
forced air.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)