Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heater guy says replace furnace/AC

On Nov 3, 2:50*am, JRStern wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:00:23 -0800, "Walter R." wrote:
Inland San Diego, which is probably similar to your location in LA.

Yes.

We had our 25 year old hot-air gas furnaces and airconditioners (3 ton each)
replaced 2 years ago. Installed price was 8,000. Bids ranged from 16,000 to
7,000. You need to do a lot more homework. Also, make sure to take out a
permit. As part of the replacement you are required by law to have a
verification of your duct system. This cost another $ 500. If you don't do
it, it will bite you when you sell the house.

We probably have some old asbestos hanging around,
how much of a $$ is that likely to be?

Also replaced our two water heaters, 40 gal. gas, last year: $ 800 each,
courtesy Home Depot. At $ 1500 for one, you are getting ripped off.

I guess I could call them for an estimate,
but they don't do the work, do they, just hook
you up with some "approved vendors"?

Again, these (both furnace and water heater) have to be manually
hauled into a very inconvenient hole - or else installed
in a new outside shelter somewhere. *I can see a hundred dollars
or more premium for the difficulty. *And they were saying new
ducts are necessary, another couple of hundred, I guess. *But it
still may be high, thanks.

25 years is about the maximum life expectancy for gas furnaces. Don't go for
the expensive, high efficiency furnaces and air conditioners. We pay about $
100 a year for air conditioning electricity. Would take several lifetimes to
pay for high efficiency units.

Excellent point, thanks.

Even the run of the mill is probably a lot more efficient than
these old models, 1984 was just before the more-efficient appliances
movements began.

J.

Here in NJ companies are running newspaper ads for Trane 100K BTU
upright gas furnace and 13SEER AC for around $5k AFTER rebates and tax
credits. I think as of right now the tax credits for high eff units
expire the end of the year, though they might get extended. Make
sure you check on ALL rebates available from manufacturers, utility
companies, FED/state govt etc. They are substantial but only apply
to high eff models and now could be a good time to replace a 25 year
old unit.