Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default heater guy says replace furnace/AC

"JRStern" wrote in message
When can these things be repaired, versus being replaced?

Forced-air gas heater didn't seem to be sending up any heat today, so
I cycled it a bunch of times, then finally descended to the 10x10
basement where it lives. Flame would come on, after a minute or three,
stay on for 10 seconds, then go out again. Blower kept blowing.

System was working fine two days ago - but for some years, it has had
the habit of turning on only slowly, after a minute or three of
waiting.

So I called one of the big chain repair places, they came in, popped
off the cover, told me the pilot was getting sucked away, and this was
a sign that the whole thing needs replacing, for about $10k. Plus,
the water heater looks like it's had a couple of leaks, might want to
replace it, too, for another $1,500.

Heat/Air is a Carrier unit circa 1984 (house much older), so it's not
like a newer, higher-efficiency unit might not be a good idea anyway.
Not sure of the water heater age, probably not that old.

This is a unit for a 2,000sqft house in suburban Los Angeles.

What surprises me is how quick the repair guys went to "Replace!".
Can't these things be repaired? How complex is a gas furnace anyway?

The repair guys seemed to know their business, I just wonder how much
of their business is doing replacement rather than repair, if you know
what I mean.

Me being a total newbie on this, any advice appreciated.

Get several estimates on the same equipment. Installation is going to be
your biggest concern.

Off hand, I couldn't afford to live in LA, with prices like that!

I just replaced my own HW tank, ran me $450, and I was having a cow because
the last one was under $300. They changed the ignition, EPA regs or
something or other. But $1,500 for a gas fired one seems awful steep.
There's not much to installing one.

It's been 5 yrs for a furnace change out, along with A/C changed out. At
the time I had a 80% Carrier 2stage gas fired furnace, plus 11 seer a/c
unit installed. All 3 companies did a manual J? or something or other.
Ironically, 2 companies recommended the exact same equipment. The one
company came in almost $2,500 higher, than the other company. I flat out
told the guy he was that much higher. He asked the other company, said he
started out working for them, and didn't have 1 bad thing to say about
them. Just wondered how they could do it that cheap. I got everything
installed, plus permit for $5K. They had to do some new duct work since I
had an EAC installed also. Forget what the EAC ran me, but the duct work
was included in the price of the furnace install. Everything was phoned
into the shop for the sheet metal work, delivered within a couple hours.
Was a pretty neat operation, the 2 guys worked like a well oiled machine
together. Parts guy delivered the equipment, then brought the sheet metal &
took away the old. Very well organized company. The 2 installers belonged
to different unions. One was pipefitters, & I totally forget the other one.

I thought about going with a higher rated furnace, but heard pros & cons
about it. Mainly cost and how long it would take to get back.

I heard a/c has to be at least 12 seer now.

Do yourself a huge favor, and get several estimates, on comparable
equipment.