Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer gasket repair

On Nov 2, 8:12*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:13*pm, albee wrote:

Any chance of doing this? I can't believe it's over $80 for a gasket.
My side-by-side has a bad section of gasket at the bottom of the
freezer. I'm looking around for gasket by the foot, but otherwise,
would it be possible to repair it, maybe by injecting silicon caulk
into it? Just a thought... *Or does anyone know of a cheaper generic I
can find? No luck yet.
Also, when I happened to open the fridge today I thought I heard
hissing, maybe? I then opened the freezer, and noticed the defrosting
coil lighted and saw water dripping and heard it sizzling on it (I
presume that's not surprising?) At the time it was to me, as I didn't
even know about heater coils to defrost, so quickly unplugged the
thing *
But I don't believe the hissing I heard was the water dripping on the
hot coil; sounded different. Haven't noticed it again. Possibly
occurred just as the defroster was turning on? Any thoughts?
Thanks much!

I don't know about the defrost problems, but the door gasket can be
mended.
I fixed one on an dorm size fridge about 15 years ago, it is still in
daily use as a drinks fridge. i just replaced the damaged section with
G.E. silicone seal (white) and put scotch tape on the body of the
fridge where the gasket contacted so it wouldn't bond the door shut,
removed it when it dried. I don't think I even turned it off. It is
more art than science.- Hide quoted text -

Be sure you use silicone rubber seal, not silicone caulk. Follow
Eric's instructions, they sound perfect.