Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Can someone identify this wood?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:09:35 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

Robatoy wrote:
The poplar thing I mentioned is because I have seen poplar do some
birchy things, in grain and color. Not likely that it is poplar.
True. Poplar can be the cameleon of woods, depending on from where and
how it's cut.
I never can seem to get a piece without a runny nose. :-)

I use a lot of poplar. It machines beautifully, paints beautifully in
the pigment of your imagination and is dimensionally very stable and
cheap.
Never had any nose issues with it, unlike teak and such. Padauk messes
with my eyes.
One of my guys' hands turn purple when he touches/sands oak.

Weird about the purple.
I second everything you said about Poplar.

Tell the guy with purple hands to do a whole body cleanse. He's
probably picking up the tanning and the ammonia coming out of his
pores is turning him purple. He needs to _detox_!

The runny nose thing... I was referring to the green streaks.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)