Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

"Bill" wrote:

I just typed in "Convection electric heat" (google search), and this
product came up:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none

Looks appealing--even has a thermostat and auto-shutoff. I had been
under the impression that using electricity was a costly way to
create heat. I guess I can try the math: this thing is 1500W =
1.5kW, and it looks like I pay less than 10 cents per kWh, and that
would come out to 15 cents per hour.

The heater above is a cute little toy, would probably work well in a
desk cubby hole for an office.

Trying to heat an un-insulated, 2 car garage in central Indiana in the
middle of winter with a 1500W heater has about as much a chance of
doing the job as you have trying to smell an ameba fart from 100 ft
away in a hurricane.

Haven't run the numbers, but even 15,000W would probably be very
marginal at best.

Lew