Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 5:15 pm, "Bill" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

I have an attached 400 ft^2 (20' by 20') 2-car garage with an
(electric)
insulated garage door.

What is a smart way to warm it up (to say 60 degrees)? Options appear
be kerosene, propane and electric.
I assume that propane may be the cleanest and/or cheapest. How
concerned
should I be
about exhaust fumes (at this point, they concern me)?

The garage has some unfinished walls and a finished ceiling. Is
occasionally warming it up likely to produce condensation
on walls and lead to their damage? I assume that unprotected metal will
be even more at risk.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Bill

Bill I found that garage doors can be very drafty. With a draft you may
never warm it up. About 10 years ago I replaced my garage door with a
Wayne Dalton insulated door, expanding foam between an outer and inner
steel layer. Additionally the door has weather stripping around the
perimeter to prevent drafts. I find that a small 1500 watt ceramic
electric heater can warm the garage to comfortable in about 10 minutes.
Other than the door that faces north, the garage is not insulated except
on the back wall which separates it from the rest of the house. I worked
in a large ware house that used 2 kerosene heaters, they in no way are
ever close to warming the building. They did provide a warm spot to take
the chill off but I recall the fumes gave most every one a head ache.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. The ceiling is
partially-insulated,
but the walls
are not (except for the one which is attached to the house). Maybe I'll
add
some to the ceiling.
Gas is nearby; my hot water heater uses it, but that's all. I'm not a big
fan of NG.
Since you've convinced me that a propane furnace without proper
ventilation
is unsafe,
an electric heater seems the more practical for the time being. I'll read
all of the posts
again, thank you!

Bill

Convection electric heat is clean too.

Good point!

I just typed in "Convection electric heat" (google search), and this product
came up:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none

Looks appealing--even has a thermostat and auto-shutoff. I had been under
the impression that using electricity was a costly way to create heat. I
guess I can try the math: this thing is 1500W = 1.5kW, and it looks like I
pay less than 10 cents per kWh, and that would come out to 15 cents per
hour. Better than I would have expected; quiet too I assume. Please correct
my calculations if I overlooked something (my home-owners insurance is paid
up! )!

Bill