Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

On Nov 2, 6:03*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:27 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote:
Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded
to a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years
actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an
individual fuse box installed 25 years ago. We have an electrician
coming out to give us an estimate to upgrade to a circuit breaker,
but since we've made the appointment we've heard from two people
who say fuses are better and why bother spending the money if we
don't have any problems. Thoughts ?

An alternative is to install a breaker-box yourself. You can get
everything you need at the box store and, with an afternoon's* work,
you should be able to swap out the fuse box for a 200 Amp service.

Should cost about $300.

----
* Depending on how far you are from the hardware store for forgotten
items...

Man, WTF is up with you and bad advice? *Is this some childish attempt
to be funny?

The OP has fuses. *The odds of him having 200 amp service is remote.
You have no idea of his service, you have no idea of his capabilities,
he already mentioned that he was having an electrician to come out and
give a price for changing the panel - so, what exactly are you doing
besides ignoring his question and running off at the mouth?

Stop it. *It's dangerous. *Pick some question that is more up your
alley and doesn't have life-threatening consequences. *Maybe painting
barn scenes on hand saw blades or making clocks out of circular saw
blades.

Sorry I set you off.

First, I started my post with "An ALTERNATIVE is..."

Second, I suggested a 200 Amp service because the incremental cost between
that and a 60 Amp or 100 Amp service is trivial. Might as well have excess
capacity.

Third, it's NOT dangerous. Or complicated. Union people do it every day.

Fourth, while you are correct that I have no idea as to the OPs
capabilities, I presumed his hand would fit a screwdriver (which is the
extent of the skill-set that's required). If I erred in this assumption, I
apologize.

It IS up my alley inasmuch as I've done it. The first one I did, I had no
experience but the job was as straightforward as changing a ti cut the
power, remove the old apparatus, install the new, turn the power back on and
see if anything smokes. It took me and my son about five hours, what with
frequent beer breaks and all.

(Just kidding about the booze - although we DID have a beer when we
finished; sort of a celebration in saving about $1000 over what an
electrical company bid.)- Hide quoted text -

Fourth, while you are correct that I have no idea as to the OPs
capabilities, I presumed his hand would fit a screwdriver (which is
the extent of the skill-set that's required). If I erred in this
assumption, I apologize.

I think the error in your assumption is that all it takes is a
screwdriver and the associated skill set.

When I had my 60 amp fused service upgraded to a 150 amp breaker panel
a bunch of years back, it required a new service cable from the bugs
at the top of the house through the meter and then to the panel. I
don't recall if it required new wires from the pole to the bugs.

I don't think it safe to "assume" that all the OP needs is a breaker
box and a screwdriver to upgrade to 200 amps.