Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Score one for top loading washers

On Nov 2, 3:14*pm, mike wrote:
How would you like to pay top dollar for a new washing machine - only
to have it stink up your laundry room?

It's happening to lots of people who have a front-loading washer. KOMO
News Problem Solver Herb Weisbaum spent the last few weeks trying to
find out what's causing this smelly problem.

Consumers like front-loaders because they save water and energy - and
get your clothes really clean. But many front-loading washers have
this annoying odor problem.

"Putrid, nasty, permeates the whole laundry room and basement," says
Dennis Hanson, who owns a front-loader.

Rae Lembersky, who also owns a front-loader, has the same problem.

So does Teresa Muench - and KOMO News was there when she got her first
look at the smelly bacteria growing inside her washer.

"Black gooey, smelly, slimy stuff," she says.

"It's definitely all around the tub, a little bit here and there,"
says a repairman who came to look at the problem.

For Rae Lembersky the smell was more than annoying. Because of a
medical condition, she needs to be very careful about contaminants in
her house.

"And it just gives me the willies," she says. "It's like 'eeech,'
cause I don't like the thought of mold."

"Imagine that you're in one of those movies where there's a swamp
monster, and it's that kind of swampy kind of musty sort of yucky
smell," she added.

Desperate for relief, Rae hired Scott Wiseman to remove and replace
the disgusting rubber gasket. It cost $300.

And this is a machine that was cleaned with and run with bleach and
hot water.

"It's a problem for all front-loaders," Wiseman said.

To find out what's causing the problem, KOMO News turned to Consumer
Reports. They've had so many complaints about smelly front-loaders the
editors now warn readers about it. ...

END EXCERPT

When we first got our front loader (Neptune) I did notice a slight
odor, like light mildew. We started adding a little baking soda to
each load and it went away never to return. It has already payed for
itself in propane, between the hot water and the dryer, washing
clothes with my old setup was my second biggest user, after heating
the house. We have had it for about 5 years & would replace it with
another in a heartbeat. though the Fisher & Paykel top loader looks
interesting if it will do the big stuff. We regularly do our king size
comforters & it handles them with ease.