Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

"BQ340" wrote in message
Jeffy3 wrote:
Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded to
a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years
actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an
individual fuse box installed 25 years ago. We have an electrician
coming out to give us an estimate to upgrade to a circuit breaker, but
since we've made the appointment we've heard from two people who say
fuses are better and why bother spending the money if we don't have
any problems. Thoughts ?

Is/was there ever a fusebox that was larger than a 60 amp main?

*I have a customer with a Cutler Hammer circuit breaker panel that has 200
amp fuses as the main.

If it is working now & sized properly then it shouldnt be an issue till
you sell the house.

MikeB