Gnube

Default singing... where are all the DIY stores gone...

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:36:30 +0100, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:22:30 +0100, Peter Ashby
wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Two large DIY stores near here (Beeston, Notts) have closed in the past few
months. One replaced by a Wicks - which is fine if you want 600 tons of
something but not much use for just a few screws or a drill bit - or even a
pot
of PVA, as I just found out! What's going on? Is this happening elsewhere?

Come again? I can get all the above in our local Wickes,

I'm sure Dundee is a great place - but a bit far for me to go :-)
Seriously though I just had some chap hunting around for PVA - "nope we don't do
it". It's a new store and maybe just getting up to speed. Our partuclar one
seems a very meagre place after the Focus that was there before.

after metric drill bits I wouldn't go there. As for screws, more are far
cheaper than a few.

Indeed so - I was being figurative.

http://www.screwfix.com

Order one day, it'll be with you the next more often than not. They
hold good stock and they don't exactly over charge most of the time.

OK they don't sell absolutely everything, but they sure ease the
hassle with most of the day to day stuff.

They are trying very hard to get it right while others appear to be
sitting on their laurels!

Hope this helps.

Take Care,
Gnube
I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)