Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TonyS TonyS is offline

Default Kill-a-Watt surprises

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I was surprised to discover that the Parasound controller pulled 30VA, even
when not turned on. And a Lexicon CP-3plus drew 20VA, simply in standby. As
I rarely use it, I turned the standby switch to "off".

Same here. I checked all my devices for standby power and found that the LCD TV
(Pavo) drew a ridiculous 55VA in standby. The other devices weren't exactly
power savers either.

I found that my Yamaha surround sound amp has only a few Watts standby power and
also has a switched AC mains output socket, which unfortunately can only handle
100 or so VA.

I built a relay box controlled by the amp's switched mains output and controls a
power board in which all the "bad" devices are plugged in. Now I can switch the
whole "entertainment" corner (except PVR) on and off with the amp's remote control.
Since the TV forgets its setup when switched off the universal remote has to go
through a 1 minute setup procedure though. That'll deplete the batteries early
..... :-(

Tony