Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

In ,
Morris Dovey dropped this bit of wisdom:
PDQ wrote:

Would that I could afford the 70-80K solar option to be totally off
the grid.

Hmm. When a whole beef would strain the budget, I can generally get by
with a couple pounds of hamburger and a steak or two...

Usually, I found that a pile of steaks cost almost as much as a whole beef and I did not get all the parts that people are not supposed to eat - liver, kidney, heart and I never did acquire a taste for tripe.

Think of it this way, if you were totally off the grid, you'd have a
lot more stuff with inflexible maintenance requirements.

With the advent of "Smart" meters, I now have to schedule my dish and clothes washing for the midnight hour so as to be using "cheap" hydro. When the utilities figure out what is happening, they will up the rates to make up for the lost income and I will have to resort to other means of keeping my costs down -- maybe a rock in the river and my wife up to her neck in the stream.

Now, if you have any pocket pleasing ideas on how to turn my 70 foot south roof into a viable solar collector, "Lay on MacDuff".

P D Q