Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
PDQ wrote:

In ,
Morris Dovey dropped this bit of wisdom:
PDQ wrote:

Would that I could afford the 70-80K solar option to be totally off
the grid.

Now, if you have any pocket pleasing ideas on how to turn my 70 foot
south roof into a viable solar collector, "Lay on MacDuff".

It's possible to DIY the PV panels, and there are a number of good
articles on the web with step-by-step how-to info - but the requisite
charge controller, batteries, and inverter still aren't cheap.

For the panels themselves, the silicon and solder are available on eBay,
the wood and glass can be purchased locally - and the enclosures can be
built by an average woodworker. I was tempted to build a couple of 4'x8'
panels, just for the heck of it - but decided that my money would be
better spent on another (solar thermal pump) project.

I'll repeat for both you and Bill: for the cash spent, solar thermal
applications (such as heating) provide the best return on investment - and
offer, if not total energy independence, at least a satisfying reduction
in dependence and operating costs.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Interesting idea...I won't rule out the possibility of using solar power
someday.
My dad would have been interested--he was quite environmentally-concious.

Bill