Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Newbe Question about Shop Heater

On 2009-11-02, Bill wrote:

What is a smart way to warm it up (to say 60 degrees)? Options appear to be
kerosene, propane and electric.

Price is a prime factor. Kerosene is a non-issue, having climbed from
approx $1.50 gal 10-15 yrs ago to an astonishing $10 gal!! I couldn't
even give away my 25K BTU almost-new kerosene htr. Can't say about
nat-gas. Ditto electricity. OTOH, I've seen propane drop almost 60%
in price in last 2 yrs. Savings! Plus, propane burns hotter than
nat-gas.

As for the fumes, I'm still researching that, myself. I'm in CO
Rockies at 8K ft and it's an early Winter. Get up, light all 4
burners on stove, plus oven. Have never suffered headaches or
shortness of breath (knock on wood), although a pretty tight abode. I
had (past tense) a Reddy propane space heater and feel space heaters
do not combust efficiently, so there may be issues with propane space
htr fumes more than other types of more efficient propane heaters. In
the end, I'd go propane.

An overhead fan, of some sort, is almost a necessity. Hot air rises.
Even an inexpensive ceiling fan will bring that hot air down to you
before you spend twice the money to heat the whole building from the
top down.

Also, consider a digital thermostat and how often you will be using
the place. It's my feeling it's cheaper to keep a place warm than to
let it go cold and then re-warm it, another thing I'm still
researching (I missed thermodynamics in college). Maybe someone will
elaborate.

Just observations from a former sweat-my-ass-off CA expat now living
in frigid CO ....and loving it!!

nb