Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A thoughtful statement on WW

On Nov 2, 8:07 am, dpb wrote:

'Tis interesting to consider whether most of these current students here
and there will still be following their new track down the road when
things have turned around as inevitably will. At that point will he
then write a letter decrying the lack of interest in woodworking?

I think that is a very astute observation and an excellent point.
Once things get "back on track", the interest in a perceived more
simple life full of simple pleasures will go away.

All the self doubt, the self examination of where we went wrong as a
society, etc., that leads folks to a yearning for "the old ways" will
be gone when unemployment goes down and money is easier to come by.

Most folks seem to appreciate what they have and what they can do with
what they have only when there isn't something new to lust after on
the horizon. A shortage of disposable (or just the regular) funds, an
ass whipping in retirement savings accounts, uncertainty of
employment, and a government that will possibly commit to a trillion
dollars in debt certainly seems to make people more thoughtful.

I remember reading about this "back to the simple life" phenomena in
the 80s when the market collapsed and we had
the famous Black Monday of 1987. Leading up to that day had been
tough, but it was the end of businesses, jobs, money in the market,
and on an on like I had never seen. So many of my business friends
filed for bankruptcy I was astonished.

Then the SnL industry collapsed, and so did the mortgage lending/
buiilding/remodeling industry.

A lot of folks found new hobbies. They went to national parks for
vacations, or went to out of state venues for vacations instead of
trips to Europe. They quit going to Vegas once a month "to blow off
steam". Likewise, trips to New Orleans were canceled that were
previously seen as rewards for closure of savvy business deals.

They sold their Rolexes, and drove older vehicles. They cut down
their office and staff sizes.

But you know what?

AS SOON AS THEY COULD, they hit their old groove. They were "back" in
the 90s, and they went right back to the old habits. Just about all
of them.
All those wonderful old ways they were learning were replaced with a
sigh, and the observance "who has the time for that anyway?".

Rest assured, when/if this newest economic downturn is over, so will
the interest be in returning to traditional crafts and trades.

But the good news is that we will be able to read about the few that
hang in there and decide they really like it. Those few will show up
in the woodworking magazines with a mini bio next to their work
talking about how they "left it all behind one day".

Baloney. Those few are excepetions. Times change but people don't. I
would say, don't add too much to the college now unless you are going
to get the feed from the folks that can no longer afford the state run
schools.

As always.... just my opinion.

Robert