Posted to alt.home.repair
Retirednoguilt Retirednoguilt is offline

Default Help with correct furnace exhaust PVC

theedudenator wrote:
My furnace stopped working, it had some read-outs saying the exhaust
was not working.
Turns out the exhaust pipe was full of water and filled the exhaust
fan with water.
I cleaned all of this out, but now I want to correct the problem.

My exhaust PVC travels from the furnace to the outside wall. There is
a belly in this pipe. Thats were the water was sitting.

Looks like I need to have it angled to drain back to the furnace - I
need to correct the belly.
Is there a standard size for this type of pipe? Mine looks to be 3"
dia. Rather large.

I live in Maryland and had a Carrier 92% efficient gas furnace installed
compliant with our codes 3 years ago. My exhaust PVC is supported by hangers in
the basement and slopes gently back towards the furnace so condensate will drain
back into the furnace as it should. Outside the penetration through the
foundation, they installed a 90 degree elbow facing up to the sky, with about a
2 foot length of straight PVC pipe in the open end of the elbow. Then, there is
a 180 degree elbow connected to that. This way, rain etc. does not enter the pipe.