Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

dpb wrote:

Jeffy3 wrote:
Our 55 year-old house still runs on fuses . We have never upgraded to
a circuit breaker . We hardly ever blow fuses (it's been years
actually). We even run our heater and air conditioner off an
individual fuse box installed 25 years ago. We have an electrician
coming out to give us an estimate to upgrade to a circuit breaker,...

OK, _WHY_ did you do this, then?

Unless you're intending or needing to upgrade service from (say) 100 to
200A in view of an impending remodeling or other anticipated increased

Possibly because they aren't blowing fuses since someone has already
overfused the old panel and it's a fire waiting to happen? A single 30A
edison base fuse feeding several 14ga circuits isn't exactly uncommon on
some old panels.