Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Analog clock...setting time

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 06:10:21 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
It depends entirely on the clock. I have a collection of ~25 vintage and
antique clocks. Most can be turned in either direction. Half a dozen can
only be turned forward. Of those that can only be turned forward, several
literally cannot be turned backwards, as the hands won't move. Of the
others, it puts the chimes out of sync with the time the hands are
displaying.

Yes, I've got one from the '50s where it screws the chimes up if turned
backwards (although there doesn't appear to be anything in the mechanism
that can actually suffer damage as a result). If turned forwards it'll
stay in sync, so long as I stop on every quarter hour for the chimes.

As there's no calendar functionality it's usually easier just to stop and
restart when it next shows the correct time.

Thankfully the mainspring will run for about a week, so it doesn't need
winding that often...