BigWallop

Default Advice for gas chimney

"PoP" wrote in message
I'm thinking of putting a canopy over our back door, and possibly
building a covered walkway between the house and our garage, the walls
of which run parallel and about 3 feet apart. However there's a
problem in so far that the central heating boiler chimney exits
alongside the back door, and this would end up with the chimney
venting into the canopy/walkway. Obviously I'm not going to do that!

There's also an extractor hood vent the far side of the back door, but
I'm more comfortable with extending that if I need to.

Here's a couple of pictures of our back door with the chimney clearly
seen to the left:

http://www.yorkshireplace.co.uk/Door.asp

I know it is possible to install a vertical extension to a CH chimney
because a place down the road has got one, but never having delved
into this sort of thing before I'm not familiar with what can/can't be
done. I'm assuming that if I were to extend the chimney then I have to
take care that the chimney can "breathe" in and out, plus whatever I
mount around the chimney (in terms of canopy/roof) has to be
acceptably fireproof.

The CH boiler is a Potterton PrimaF if that makes any difference.

Advice would be welcome. Does this require a gas fitter to do the job
to ensure it is done right, or is it in the realms of general DIY?

PoP

Would the canopy come out to the side as far as the pipe ? It looks to be
far enough away from the door to fit a small canopy beside it. Is the door
to the garage opposite the kitchen door ? Or are you thinking on covering
the whole gap between the buildings some how ?

The flue pipe needs to be sealed with the correct paste stuff at any slip
over joints, so you might need the help of someone who knows about these
things. But I do know that it is possible to have a least 2mtrs of flue
from most of the standard boilers without needing extra fan assistance and
things. So, the next questions are, how far away from the wall is the
boiler ? And would any extension to the existing flue, take it over the
nominal 2mtr length ?