Posted to sci.electronics.repair
UCLAN UCLAN is offline

Default Kill-a-Watt surprises

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Its been pointed that you don't really need a watt or watt-hour meter to
save money -- you just turn off things you're not using.

This is not altogether true.

My electric bill was ridiculous, so I started checking. I'd been too lazy to
regularly turn off my A/V system's equipment, which includes a number of
vampire devices.

I was surprised to discover that the Parasound controller pulled 30VA, even
when not turned on. And a Lexicon CP-3plus drew 20VA, simply in standby. As
I rarely use it, I turned the standby switch to "off".

Most of the vampire devices are items I don't use regularly. I'm going to
move them to their own strip, so that they will always be off, except when
actually being used.

Or use a strip with separate ON/OFF switches for each outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2C3B3PRAAMCN2Y

http://tinyurl.com/ybzqx2a