Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default sometimes things work out okay...

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:13:00 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 09:57:49 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I've been using an attachment for guitar pots that screws atop the pot
and allows the cleaner to squrt down the shaft. Saves a lot of time in
some cases and can be used on anything with a similar pot.

Where do you find these?

I assume they're "custom" and won't work as well on a smaller shaft.

Most guitar supply places have them. I think we get them from WD music
although I was not the one who ordered them. And I'm fairly sure that
they make several sizes.

http://www.customguitars.com/pots.html
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Oct/A_Pot_Cleaning_Miracle.aspx
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/0291
I made my own before I realized that it could be purchased
commercially. If you ever want to see really corroded and stuck pots,
try the marine radio business. The problem is that the pressure from
the typical spray cleaner is insufficient to break loose a really
rotted shaft. So, mine has a compressed air fitting attached. Point
the pot upwards, screw in the adapter cap, pour in some penetrating
oil, apply air pressure, and the pot is either cleaned or destroyed.
It works fine for open unsealed pots, but sometimes causes problems
with sealed or plastic rectangular pots, which tend to fly apart with
too much air pressure. I usually use about 20 psi for ordinary pots,
and only 5 psi for the sealed variety. Also, be prepared to have
penetrating oil sprayed all over everything that's not protected by a
rag or twowel paper.

Reminder: Point the pot upwards or you won't have a good liquid tight
seal when applying pressure.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D