Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default [Totally OT] Freecycle

Mark wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:08:52 +0000, Usenet Nutter
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:14:40 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:14:04 +0000, Tim W wrote:
Bruce
wibbled on Friday 30 October 2009 08:49
It has very little to do with "the server". It has everything to do
with the moderators, who are all volunteers. They aren't sitting
poised at their PC waiting for your message to come through so it can
be posted out to the group within seconds.
I'm sure that each message is *not* moderated on the T Wells group.
Messages
posted on the web appear immediately. A percentage of messages posted on
the web get emailed immediately. Some appear on the web and never get
emailed. That *is* a crap server/software.

Some groups are fully moderated. Some others are unmoderated. The
rest moderate new members, and allow them to post unmoderated after a
trial period.
That last is that way that all groups should be run. It's specifically
against Freecycle rules to run a fully moderated group. Of course this
doesn't apply to non-Freecycle groups.

When I created and ran the local group in Ayr, I never felt the need to
approve new members and never had reason to regret the decision.
Unfortunately, a lot of Freecycle groups are run by people who are control
freaks and find the thought of unmoderated members & unapproved sign-up
scary.

Tim

The Glasgow Group is fully moderated and some things they do are
really irksome like when I posted a "Wanted" message and said I could
collect from all around the greater Glasgow area but didn't put in
which part of Glasgow I stayed in and it got rejected and I had to
edit it and resend ..Now why did that matter when I said I could
collect .?

One of our local groups is like this. The moderators also edit the
posts (for example to remove the reason you are wanting something).

Our's have also gone downhill. Nowadays I get no-shows and impolite

Yahoo groups is a real pain and I wish all freecycle groups would move
away from it.

I gave up some time back. I could handle traders because at least the
items would not go to landfill. I could not however handle the repeated
rudeness and no shows. Very sad.