Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias[_2_] Mark Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default decoder error on Toshiba DVD player?

"The Night Tripper" wrote in message
o.uk...
Meat Plow wrote:

Ouch! I'd go for the SMPS like others might suggest. Don't know about
the scale of the Zoran chip set but others since at least 2005 have
employed a SoC stratagy or System On a Chip. Usually one large SMD
with maybe 200 pins. Hell it may even have been Zoran that I have seen
in some cheapy players. I doubt manys ability to dive into a SoC and
t-shoot it let alone find and replace.

Hi again
I've managed to get hold of the schematic and from a cursory examination
the PSU output seems OK. The same outputs from the Zoran chip are used for
RGB and for composite, so it looks like the problem is there, or upstream
of
there. The Zoran chip is a ZR36732, and there's a 16M ROM and a 64M SDRAM
attached.

It wasn't a terribly expensive player and it's done good service - I just
don't want to chuck it if there's an 'easy' (heh) fix...

Cheers
J^n

Did you look at the PSU supply lines with a 'scope or just a DMM? A high ESR
can cause a large high frequency ripple on the DC line(s) which won't be
apparent using a voltmeter...

Mark Z.