Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Colin Trunt Colin Trunt is offline

Default Hissing TV.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:16:44 -0000, "Colin Trunt"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:38:55 -0000, "Colin Trunt"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:23:13 -0000, "Colin Trunt"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:39:07 -0000, "Colin Trunt"
wrote:

OK so it was hissing, I see blue arcing on the tube on the cap,
is also covered in tobacco smoke/dirt. I tried some insulating tape
at first, which worked for a while but not the next day.
Anyway I cleaned up around the cap a bit untill I did not get much
arcing
or any arching.
Anyway now when I switch on the picture is blurred, however it gets
better
and after about 15 minutes it is back to normal or very near to.

So how do I make it work from cold, ie no blurred picture.
There was also some hissing this morning and some faint arching
but that seemed to clear up afer a few minutes.

I am thinking cleaning a larger area would help.

I am not sure why the picture eventually sorts it self out slowly
after switching on.

Is something heating up?

How was the focus when it was hissing? Often the focus reference is
part of the anode voltage circuit and could be strained by the
additional current when arcing.

Well generally bad, but when it first started hissing I think it was
OK
it was just the noise which was annoying.
Only after my various attempts at cleaning where the arcing was coming
from
did the out of focus stuff start appearing.
There may still have been some arching then but less visable and more
silent.
What tends to happen is the picture slowly 'unblurs' itself, and the
hissing
if any goes
away.
I was king of thinking that cleaning an area disturbed the electrical
charastics of the
tube, unbalancing it, I though maybe if I cleaned all of the tube it
might
restore
that balance as it would have an even spread of surface charastics.
However eventually it does restore focus fully even with an unevenly
cleaned
tube.

I am thinking maybe the surface 'dries out' or the surface charges up
restore an
even 'balance'.
It is when it has been switch on after a long period off that it is
blurred.
If I switch it on an off now it remains unblurred because it has
'warmed
up'.

Incidently I have just started using an old cumputer monitor as a
second
terminal
and I can hear it hissing!! High humitity is part of the problem I
think.
The picture looks OK maybe a little blured hard to say, it's not very
bright
though.

I guess the only action I can take is to clean it throughly. I mean I
have
no parts
or a soldering iron etc... so thats about all I can do anyway.

I wil try giving it a good clean when I have the time.

Thanks for your input.

Watch the anode hole on the CRT, it will store high voltage and will
shock you. Running a bead of silicone rubber around the outside of the
cap on the CRT surface can stop arcs if the surface of the CRT is
carbon etched from arcing.

Not sure if I have any silicone rubber or not, or indeed what it is :O)
I might have some plumbers white silicon stuff though.

I was wondering about the cap, as I had lifted it up, I was wondering
if I meeded to clean under it.

I saw the wires that go to the anode and I thought maybe I had disturbed
the
position of the anode, but obviously not as that would not selfright
itself.

The area I didn't clean look black but the clean are alooks pretty OK.

It's not a mojor problem though, I normally switch it on beforeI want to
watch it so by the time I do the picture is perfectly fine.

I was thinking of getting one of those new fangled flat screen
ones too. I could also do with a flatscreen as a second monitor.
When I used the old one I was reminded of how small the screen
is and how big and heavy the monitor itself actually is!!

If your white silicone is 100% silicone that would work too. But if it
isn't arcing it doesn't need more cleaning or silicone. The damage is
done and you probably need a focus divider or whatever on your
particular set provides the focus grid inside the CRT with voltage.

I think when it I first switch it on it may be arcing and hissing a
little,
it was not like the arcing which I had before I cleaned it (or cleaned
a smaller area) where you could see a fairly distinctive arc, but
rather more of a sort of 'glow' over the top of part of the tube.
There was an area which was sort of 'illuminated).

Actualy it may have been several 'mini-arcs' certainlty the curve of
the tube would make a straight one impossible, maybe if I clean it better,
it will help.

Hmmm cleaned it a lot more but it's hard to get at a lot of it.
Still blurred when I switched on, then after a while the picture
started narrowing (going widescreen so to speak!!).
What would cause that?
Anyway I switched it off again and had another go at drying it, put
it back on and it was back to full screen and not as blured, it was
soon back to unblurred, but it had had a bit of a 'warm up' from earlier.

Picture is good now ie full screen and sharp, I don't think it will
'collapse in' again.
I will see what it is like when it has been off over night to access
what difference it made.

When electronic things get better as they warm it's usually associated
with tubes or electrolytic capacitors. Since your TV has only one
tube the CRT, it's plausible that it's at fault where focus is
concerned. When you first posted your chief complaint was that it took
15 minutes to focus but only after you cleaned the anode cap. How was
it before it started hissing?

There was no noticiable delay, by the time the picture was visable it was
in focus.

I am not 100% clear about things but I think maybe
that the tape fixed it at first but the next day when I
switched on it hissed, I am not sure if it was also blurred,
my post seems to indicated it was only blurred after cleaning.
However I am not 100% sure of this.

I don't see a decent correlation between events here. Some may be
coincidental. I don't remember the age or brand of TV either. Was that
ever mentioned?

TV is about 5 years old.
It's a Wharfdale :O)
Disturbingly similar to this one
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product/.../28143603.html
Wharfedale CTV2185RF

Comes with years guarantee, which is less that you are
entitled to under the law of the land - lol.

There may be a problem in that if theTV is
'warmed up' doing something to it like cleaninh
may not 'take-effect' blurring wise untill the next day.

Incidently I had this problem befo-

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci...pint&lnk=ol &

(im half_pint there).

Incidently the set did eventually go completely, but I
the problem was cured in the meantime, then one
day when, I switched on it just 'went', ie went dead,
no fireworks that I could see, just the normal click when you switch
on then nothing.

It worked for a while before it went, but not that long because
I have had this one for a while, I also got a portable
as a back-up :O).
I also have a USB TV stick I can use.

I will read up on this flyback stuff to see if I can make sense of it,
It might help me understand what is going on.

I am wondering if putting the back back on the TV will help
things?
I won't know untill the TV has been swiched off for a long time.

I guess LCD TV's don't have this problem?

TV is find at the moment, good picture.

I will time the warm up next time it has been off over night.