Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default A thoughtful statement on WW

Bill wrote:
For me, personally, I would edit the expression down to "Woodworking
exercises a person's full capacities--hands, heart, and head--in
a holistic way that is both enjoyable and empowering.".

Life, religion, art, philosophy, woodworking, architecture and
engineering are surely as deep as anyone wishes to make them...

Indeed, as is farming. I recall during school summer days making up and
solving differential equations in head and/or other diversions to pass
time on tractor working mile-long row crop rows that seemed sometimes
interminable between one end and another...

The thing about the letter that I was commenting on was, in fact, the
writer's viewpoint and I was wondering how much of it was colored by his
own interpretation while thinking there was a real good chance most of
this apparent (in his viewpoint) increase in interest was in fact simply
folks looking to find an alternate or second career.

I'm on board (current prez) of local community college/tech school
Foundation is why I'm so attuned to the current increase in interest and
enrollment. We've had very hard time meeting demand this year w/ the
big jump in numbers in conjunction with performance of investment market
over the last year.

'Tis interesting to consider whether most of these current students here
and there will still be following their new track down the road when
things have turned around as inevitably will. At that point will he
then write a letter decrying the lack of interest in woodworking?