Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default But what about the hot water heater? Turn thermostat down?

On Nov 1, 10:17*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
* * * * Right now, I think it is set for 120F. *Hot enough for most
purposes. *OTOH, the last place (where I rented) was set much higher.
That was useful for getting the grease off plates.
-
pyotr filipivich

Mine's about 110F, the non-adjustable setting on the quick recovery
upper thermostat. If I need hotter water for greasy pots I heat a
teakettle.

At less than 115F or so there is a postulated chance of bacterial
growth. I think the chance is nearly zero for chlorinated water and
copper pipes, maybe a possibility with well water and plastic. A few
times a year and before major storms I turn on the lower electric
element at its max setting to sterilize the tank and give me 3 - 4
days of hot water if we lose power.

jsw