Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default 14" pedestal grinder

Ignoramus17693 wrote:
Someone near me is advertising a 14" pedestal grinder. It is similar
in construction (but not brand) to this grinder.

http://tinyurl.com/y8k9mjl

In other words, it is huge, 5 to 7.5 HP depending on wheel width.

While the size of this grinder fascinates me, I cannot help but wonder
how can people even get the full power out of it.

Also do you think that they are much more dangerous than regular
1/2-1HP grinders.

thanks

I've never seen a bench mounted grinder that size , but have used a few
that have been made as floor mounted models .
The 14" wheels rotate slower that say an 8" bench model .
They are used for rough fettling of castings and large pieces of steel
etc, they will take a fair bit of pressure and will remove large amounts
of material quickly..

They are no more dangerous than any other grinder of the type
,ceratainly less dangerous that a hand held angle grinder.
If I had 3 phase power in my workshop I would certainly have one.

--
Kevin (Bluey)