Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Odd wiring in 20 year home (another wtf) - return/white groundedin switch box???

On Nov 1, 1:35*pm, Charlie wrote:
I'm in the process of replacing a bathroom vent with light. *I mean,
how hard can it be? * *In so doing, I have encountered some wiring
that has me puzzled as to safety and function.

What caught my attention was that I have a single, 2 wire w/ground
running to the vent. *For two circuits? *Hmmm. *Let me see if I can
describe this.

Power to the switch box is supplied by a single two wire w/ground.
The black wire is daisy chained to both single pole switches. *The
white wire is connected to ground in the switch box (???).

Now things get weird. *The 2 wire w/ground running into the ceiling
has the following connections:
- the black wire is connected to the fan switch and up to the vent
fan;
- the white wire is connected to the light switch and up to the vent
light;
- the ground is tied into all the other grounds.

Up at the vent, we see the connections described as above; however,
the ground is left floating in air.
The weird part is that the vent white wires for the fan and light are
connected together *(???).

I don't see the return path such that this would work. *Is there
something I am missing?

Appreciate any feedback to this mess.

Sounds like someone is using the ground wire for a neutral. This
happens a lot usually in the case where someone adds a vent/light
where only a light was or adds a ceiling fan/light combo where only a
light was. This happens fairly often when someone is sprucing up a
house to sell.

Jimmie