Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_37_] Bob[_37_] is offline

Default Analog clock...setting time

wrote:
As a force of habit I have been resetting the clocks around the house
by only moving the hands clockwise. Somewhere along the line I was
told a clock could be damaged if you moved the hands backwards.
I have no idea of the source or validity of the information. Have I
been misled all these years?

Some mechanical clocks were so cheaply built that you risk damage trying
to manually adjust the time in either direction. In the fall it's much
easier to adjust for the change by stopping the clock for one hour
rather than the 11 or 23 hours needed in the spring.