Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
teabird wrote:

I agree with RBM. There is *alot* of work needed to bring this house
up to safe standard, and alot more to bring it up to code. I suggest
offering the buyer some money in lieu of fixing these few electrical
issues. They'll probably jump at it since they were going to have it
fixed up even more anyway. It would cost an you about $100 (+/-) to
have an electrician come out and do the basic changes, about $70 for
labor and the rest in parts.

Good luck,

I agree with this too, mostly, but replacing that one 2-prong outlet buys
a lot of safety for about $7 or $8; it's a nice gesture.

I wouldn't give them any money for fixing the electrical (unless you are
desperate to sell.) The old electrical system is already assumed in your
asking price. If they want a new house, they should buy a new house and
expect to pay accordingly.

Bob

I wouldn't have a problem with installing a few GFCI outlets if the wiring
is grounded. If it's not, and you stick labels on the new outlets stating
this, as is required, you may inadvertently cause alarm in the buyer or
their house inspector, who apparently didn't notice or mention anything
about ungrounded wiring.
My position would be that if the wiring and devices were up to current code,
I'd want more for the house. The price is what it is, because it's
reflecting the current state of the building.