Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Sony Blu-Ray player drive replacement

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:35:31 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I agree with David. I'm a bit surprised at your findings that

"Most DVD players that use an IDE drive will work with any computer DVD-ROM
drive"

I guess I've been lucky then. The few times I've tried it, it has
worked fine, even on a Sony DVD recorder.

I did manage to come up with a solution to this problem. I have a
pile of Playstation 3 parts, including a couple of drives. The drives
are completely different, but I found that they use the same optical
pickup as this player. I swapped the pickup into my bad drive, and
now it seems to be reading discs fine.
Andy Cuffe