Posted to rec.woodworking
LDosser LDosser is offline

Default A thoughtful statement on WW

"Bill" wrote in message

dpb: wrote:

I interpreted the letter as reflecting them seeing interest in their
courses and training. It seemed quite natural to me; community college
and other tech school attendance is up nation-wide as it always is during
periods where it is more difficult to find good-paying jobs straight out
of high school or where those who are just out a couple of years are the
ones laid off and now realize they should've had some training. The
local CC academic course enrollment was up by 15%; the associated tech
school by almost 60% this fall.

What you said may be perfectly true, but the letter expressed a point that
may be worth repeating, it said:

"Woodworking exercises a
person's full capacities--hands, heart, and head--in a holistic way that
is
both enjoyable and empowering. Instead of buying happiness, you learn to
make it. Instead of acommodating a world built by others, you learn to
construct your own.".

We all showed up at this forum for our own reasons, but those remarks
help me understand how I got here. I'm here for reasons which have
little to do with my livelihood. Financially, I'd probaby be better off
if I just
played my guitar and avoided TAS ("Tool Acquisition Syndrome"). Although
admittedly, the related malady GAS ("Guitar Acquisition Syndrome"), has
been the ruin of many a poor boy (...and God, I know I'm one.)--LOL.

My wife recently came down with BAS ("Bass Acquisition Syndrome")--that's
not a pretty sight either... she'll pick it up tomorrow. Of course, you
don't pick
a bass, but you know what I mean...

Fresh water or salt?