Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dubber Dubber is offline

Default Bike lock (bike stolen)

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dubber" wrote in message
After falling prey to some scum bag and suffering a loss of my much loved
bicycle, I've decided to do some research into locks.

The bicycle had a D lock with a round key which is aparantly crap, and a
chain lock with a padlock type lock connecting it. I left the bike 3/4
mins came back it was gone in a very busy place, I guess no one cares or
people with there busy lives just walk on by.

How heavy was the chain, and was the bike attached to anything?

Was this one
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165637

The advice I'm after is what kind of lock(s) would be best for me ?

I've had a bit of a knock confidence wise even buying a new bike, but I
have and just wanting to make sure it doesn't happen again. Although I
know it can if the theif wants it they will get it, I just want to create
enought of a deterrent to make them think too much hassle.

After getting a bike nicked, the police recommended a fat chain to me.
Which is what I now have - stout chain + stout padlock.

However, probably worth trying this question on uk.rec.cycling or
uk.rec.cycling.moderated (I reckon the latter will be more likely to get
you sensible answers).

Ahh didn;t know it existed! thanks