Posted to alt.home.repair
in2dadark in2dadark is offline

Default GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

On Nov 1, 1:24*pm, Lee B wrote:
(I'm clueless about electricity... actually it sort of scares me, so
this is all Greek to me).

Question - I'm in the process of selling an older(1950's) home. The home
inspection was Friday, and I got the buyers' laundry list Saturday
afternoon. One of the things they are asking for is GFCI's to be
installed in the bathrooms. (This is in Baltimore County, if that makes
a difference). I know that I've heard that these are required if a
bathroom is renovated, but are they required in one that hasn't been?
The only thing I've done in the past 20+ years to the bathroom was to
paint, and have a new vanity installed. There is currently a two prong
outlet near the sink in the hall bath. I saw a couple of sites online
that says these can be GFI'd, but that they won't have an equipment
ground (whatever that is).

In the basement bathroom (truly in the basement, not like it's a powder
room), the only outlet at all is one that is built into an old medicine
cupboard.

I don't want to lose the sale, and am willing to do what's legally
requited, but am trying to find out if these are *required* or just
desirable. The home inspection report just says "recommend bathroom
electrical outlet be replaced with GFCI type outlet". There are a number
of other items in the laundry list that to me fall in the "it would be
nice" category (repair cracked tiles on bathroom wall), but don't affect
habitability of the house, and I'm trying to figure if it's easier to
just offer some additional money at settlement and let them have the
work done themselves. I guess I'll spend the day on the phone tomorrow
getting estimates.

Not very hard to do at all. Just shut the power off to that room and
test it with a radio or lamp if you don't have a tester. The GF
recepticals cost more than the usual ones but are no harder to
install. I'm guessin' you only have one receptical per bath room, most
do. You can DIY easily.

Not sure about the code thing. (guessin' again) If there isn't GFI,
there are probably other important things that aren't code either.

They may want a certified electrician to do it as well. So, my earlier
suggestion may not work. But, again, they're easy to do..